Walking & Mountaineering
The Cahersiveen area is a walker’s and climber’s paradise with its many long distance walking routes, and great mountain ranges. There are numerous marked trailways throughout the region that take you through this natural wonderland. The Kerry Way (214km) is the major walking route around the Ring of Kerry.
Most of the routes in the region are on small, quiet roads and trails, far away from traffic. You can walk for hours along these lanes and roads, in peace and quiet. There are routes that will take you up and down mountains and hills, along beaches and strands, and across seaside cliffs. All walks in the area will give you the time and peace to enjoy its tranquil beauty.
Experience the hospitality and warmth of villages and towns along the way – Cahersiveen being a focal point. Be amazed and fascinated by the wealth of archeological ancestry telling the stories of the Kingdom of Kerry centuries ago.
South Kerry is a rugged region and Ireland?s highest mountain Carrauntoohill (1,039m) is situated nearby.
South Kerry Trails from West to East:
2. Bray Head, Valentia
3. Portmagee Pound Loop
4. Portmagee Knockeenawaddra Loop
5. Bolus Head Loop, Ballinskelligs
6. The Skellig Way, Ballinskelligs
7. Skellig Monks Trail Loop, Ballinskelligs
8. Emlagh Loop, Ballinskelligs
9. Reenroe Cliff Walk, Ballinskelligs
10. Beentee Loop, Cahersiveen
11. Beentee Caharn Loop, Cahersiveen
13. Fermoyle Loop, Sneem
14. Lonanagh Loop, Sneem
15. Keel Uphill Downhill Loop, Boolteens
16. Caher March Loop, Boolteens
17. Cronin’s Yard Loop, Beaufort
18. Cailleach Béara Loop, Bonane
19. Druids Loop, Bonane
20. Fionn MacCool Loop, Bonane
21. Rossacroo Wood Loop, Kilgarvan