The Southwest region of Kerry is reported to have the greatest variety of sea fish in Europe thanks to the warm waters of the Gulf Stream that caress its shores. As a result, Cahersiveen has hosted both the European and the World Boat Angling Championships.
The beaches are great for shore angling. Bass, Sole, Flounders, Wrasse, Sea Trout, Mackerel, Dogfish, Conger and numerous other species in the Atlantic, make it an angling dream.
Almost every river and lake gets a run of wild salmon while brown trout are common. Lake fishing is predominantly by boat which can be hired locally, usually including a boatman. Available locally for hire also are expert ghillies for both river and shore angling.
Lough Currane, Salmon and Trout Fishing
Lough Currane is a famous lake for Salmon and Trout fishing near Waterville, Co. Kerry in the south west of Ireland. The lake is on a spate river system and so water and weather conditions impact on fishing. There is an excellent network of angling guides and boat hire on this free fishery. Fair to good run of fish dependent on water. All legal angling methods allowed.
– The Fishing Season in Waterville, Co. Kerry starts 17th January till 12th October.
– Early in the Season Spring Salmon are caught on fly and troll.
– Later in the season, it is mainly fly fishing for Salmon & Sea Trout.
– Good fishing near the many islands on Lough Currane
– The best fishing in the Inny River is from July to October
– Lough Currane is 5 miles long by 2 miles wide and has a maximum depth of 60m.